Kickstarting digital accessibility begins with understanding why building for all employees and customers is good business.
Tamman transformed an internal agency’s approach to accessibility through education, information, and ensuring sustainability. Our client asked us to begin with the remediation process, while also keeping an eye towards more sustainable workflow changes.
When professionals are used to working one way, Tamman was tasked with helping them achieve their goal of kickstarting digital accessibility within their existing workflow to ensure all new documents are accessible and remediate a mountain of existing documents now!
Assess / Remediate / Quality Assurance / Training & Learning / Documentation
- Most organizations have a workflow that works for their existing needs. Tamman quickly assessed where the gaps were in current deliverables and workflows
- Once identified, Tamman worked with our client partners to remediate existing documents testing out the most efficient ways to insert digital accessibility into the design process
- To ensure accuracy and confidence, Tamman established new QA procedures with checklists and shared these across teams
- As Remediation took hold, we tackled setting a “mindset” of designing with accessibility through awareness training, lunch and learns and informal guidance
- Further engagement was introduced by creating communities of practice through Inclusive Design Workshops on actual WIP
- Identify and deeply train small number of internal champions to become ambassadors for inclusive design thinking in each key area of the creative process
- Create internal wiki to document best practices incrementally and provide a platform for new future associates to catch up
Our efforts led to an agency that has all the internal tools and training to understand why digital accessibility must be built into every design as a starting point. The cadre of champions who deeply engaged and became masters of accessibility now have the infrastructure to continuously train others and newcomers. This transformed the agency from embedded reliance on Tamman to using us as external guides. Remediation is important, we were able to ensure that their projects are inclusively thought through and designed at the outset within the existing design workflow.